We’re looking for: Anyone who would like to work outside and learn gardening skills. We do not expect you to have any gardening experience, just to be open to learning and working with your hands.
Here are some to the skills you might learn or bring to Oasis:
- Propagating, planting, growing and harvesting crops.
- Maintaining the growing area, cultivating soil and removing weeds.
- Maintain and develop the infrastructure of the project such as constructing raised beds and covering paths in wood chippings.
- Helping with sale of vegetables and plants and develop the enterprise.
- Sharing and developing your own skills with others
- Working as part of a team
- Maintain good health and safety in using tools
- An understanding and commitment to the culture and purpose of Sheffield Flourish
The project: Oasis Gardening Vegetables is primarily about enjoying gardening and working with others. It provides a place to grow vegetables and other plants and in doing so enables people to enjoy the amazing process of seeing plants grow. Through growing vegetables we aim to provide a space for people to learn new skills and recover from Mental Health Issues.
Being a volunteer: We try to work as a team, while making space for people to work where they feel most comfortable. We will always try to give you manageable tasks and pair you up with someone to learn new skills. Growing vegetables provides the opportunity to learn a number of skills outlined above. We also hope you might take vegetables home that you’ve grown to enjoy the full benefits of growing.
We will provide: gloves and equipment, training, on going support and travel expenses, You will be given an enhanced DBS Check as part of the process (funded by Flourish).
Your availability: We run the volunteering group every week from 1:30pm on Tuesday afternoons, finishing around 5pm. Volunteers are free to come and go within that time and we finish earlier in winter.
Who we are: Oasis Gardening is an enterprise within Sheffield Flourish; Flourish work together with people in mental health recovery, growing and leading opportunities for both individuals and community enterprises to flourish in Sheffield.
You will need to apply to become an Oasis Gardening Volunteer, by downloading our application form below.
Please return your application along with the equal opp form to [email protected]
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.